Spring cleaning. It's that time of year, darn! But even though it is a lot of work, it is always nice to have done and your house is clean and organized! We are sharing some of our favorite spring cleaning hacks to make your job a little bit easier!
If you would like to know how Susan cleans her house in one day, plus does the laundry too, click HERE. Continue reading each of these genius ideas:
Spring Cleaning Hacks:
1. Shutters/Blinds - Put a sock over your hand and dip it in warm water with a little bit of vinegar mixed in. Use your hand to wipe the fronts and backs of your shutters or blinds, and then let air dry.
2. Microwave - Put about 3 cups of water in a microwave safe bowl then add 4-6 Tablespoons of vinegar. Cover with a paper towel and cook for 7 minutes. When it is done the microwave will be coated in steam in which you will take the paper towel and wipe it down. Simple!
3. Grime in Tub - After cleaning the tub with your favorite cleaner, sprinkle a little sugar over the grimy areas and use a sponge to gently rub it in a circular motion.
4. Clean Dish Brushes - I love my dish brush from IKEA. Every now and then I will put it in the dishwasher with my other dirty dishes and run it through a cycle. It sanitizes it and cleans it so it's just like new!
5. Remove Water Stains from Faucets - Fill a plastic baggie with vinegar and place over the head of the faucet. Tape or tie a rubber band over the top of the bag so that the head of the faucet can sit in the vinegar for at least an hour. Remove and scrub off after finished.
6. Removing Dirty Marks off White Doors/Trim - The magic eraser really does live up to it's name. If your garage door entering your house had as many dirty hand/fingerprints on it as mine, try this one for sure! The magic eraser really does Take Crayon off Walls too!
7. Clean Mattress - While washing your sheets, sprinkle baking soda all over mattress. Let sit until your laundry is done. Before placing sheets on your bed, vacuum it off it all the crevices, etc. This will leave your mattress not only more fresh, but also gets off dead skin and bed bugs!
8. Cleaning Walls - After we were done building and we were cleaning the house before we moved in, we used Swiffer Mops to clean the dusty walls in our house. Just dip them in a bucket of warm water and vinegar and then start mopping your walls. This is so great because you can get up high and your back will not hurt from all the bending over, etc.
9. Dusty Plants - If you have any faux plants or greenery in your home you know that they can collect a lot of dust. Take a lint roller and take the dust off of leaves/petals. Another option would be to fill your tub up with warm water and immerse the plants that won't get ruined. Wipe with a dry cloth.
10. Dishwasher - First, clean out the food trap in your washer. In an empty dishwasher pour 2 cups of white vinegar into the bottom of the dishwasher. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of tang in the bottom and 2 packages of unsweetened Kool-Aid (lemonade flavor) in the soap dispenser. Run your dishwasher on the hottest setting for a full cycle. Since your dishwasher water runs through the garbage disposal, pour some vinegar down that too.
11. Squeaky Clean Mirrors - Fill a mixing bowl with hot water and a little vinegar. Dip a sponge/squiggy combo in the water and ring a few times. Start scrubbing your mirror and when you've done the entire thing, use the other side to squiggy it clean. No spots, no lint from any rag, squeaky clean!
12. Toilets - If you are in a bind and happen to have ran out of your favorite toilet bowl cleaner, go to the kitchen and grab your dish soap. Dish soap cleans toilets really well and leaves them smelling great!
13. Clean Washing Machine - Check out the instructions HERE.
14. Shower Scum - Keep a Scotch Brite dish wand in the shower filled with vinegar and dishwasher detergent. Do a quick scrub down when you feel the shower walls and floors are getting scummy.
15. Toothbrushes - Run toothbrushes under hot, steaming water for up to a minute to kill germs. We do this after anyone has been sick in our family. You can add a drop of essential oil to it such as eucalyptus or on guard.
Did this post motivate you to do your spring cleaning? It sure helped me to get the bug to start! Do you have any quick spring cleaning hacks or tips that you would like to share? Share them in the comments below if so! We would love to know!